Romans 12:2 — Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Nothing can be done apart from the help of the Holy Spirit. This topic, along with Intimacy with God in Prayer, are of primary importance if anything else is to be accomplished moving forward. Please watch this video and then refer to the following questions, application, and resources to help you go deeper in this topic.
1. If you wanted to know someone better what would you do to accomplish that? What principles from getting to know another person relate to getting to know God better?
2. What are some things that hinder you from spending time with God in the Word? Conversely, what has encouraged you to get into the Scriptures?
3. Take each item listed in question 2 and brainstorm ways to overcome the hindrances (i.e. “busy schedule”—what are some ways to change the schedule or to be sure that you spend time with God in His Word?).
4. What do you expect might happen in your life if you become more consistent with reading the Scripture? What do you expect might happen in your life if you fail to be consistent with reading Scripture?
5. Are there different ways to spend time in His Word, or is it only by picking up a Bible and reading it?
Application for the group (for a different meeting time):
Spend your next meeting with everyone reading a passage in the Bible for 30 minutes. Read something you normally would not read. Allow God to speak to you through His Word in a new way. Come back together as a group and discuss what you read and what you learned about a different part of His Word.
How To Read the Bible for All It’s Worth (Gordon Fee and Doug Stuart)
God’s Book for God’s People (John Stott)
Living By the Book (Howard Hendricks)
12 Dynamic Bible Study Methods (Rick Warren)
The Navigator Bible Studies Handbook
How to Study Your Bible (Kay Arthur)
Bible Gateway: numerous Bible translations with search capabilities
Gospel Coalition: numerous Bible reading plans
Back to the Bible: helpful reading plans and Bible study tools.
Hide The Word (Mark Altrogge): CDs for Bible memory and supplement to Bible reading
Next session: Intimacy in Prayer